April 18, 2019
Dear 3rd and 4th grade families,
Each year, students in grades three through eight and high school participate in the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP).
This year, your 3rd/4th grade child will take the following test(s):
- Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for English language arts/literacy and mathematics
The Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments are online tests that measure what your student knows and is able to do. The tests include many different types of questions that allow students to interact with the test questions. Results help identify gaps in knowledge or skills early on so your child can get the support needed to be successful in school.
Below is the testing schedule for Bacich:
- 3rd Grade: Week of April 29th
- 3rd Grade Makeups: Week of May 6th
- 4th Grade: Week of May 13th
- 4th Grade Makeups: Week of May 20th
You are an important part of your child’s education. To help your child get ready for the test you can:
- Talk about the test with your child. Make sure they are not scared or anxious.
- Tell your child that you and their teacher have high expectations and are both there to help, every step of the way.
- Take a practice test with your child.
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep and a nutritious breakfast before testing.
- Your child will be allowed to eat a snack before testing each day next week. Please consider packing an extra snack for him/her to eat.
- If possible, please refrain from making appointments for your child during their testing window (doctor, dentist, etc.).
To learn more about the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments, go to the California Department of Education Parent Guides to Understanding Web page at www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/parentguidetounderstand.asp.
You also can look at sample test questions on the practice tests, which can be found on the CAASPP Web Portal at www.caaspp.org/practice-and-training/index.html.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact me.